Wednesday, May 14, 2008

why did i get the job? i'm experienced guild manager/player

I have to tell you, i'm, huge fan of these studies. WoW insider has just published a great story, not something we haven't seen before, but still a good one. So what is all the fuzz? IBM and Seriosity publishded a reaserch saying players who are able to organize and lead guilds can use those same skills to succeed in the workplace.
I'm still hoping that one of the days my future boss will ask me in the interview: "ok son, now i see you wrote you have speciall experience in World of Warcraft. you have been raiding MC, ONY,UBRS,LBRS, SSC,MAGGI, Grull etc. Do you believe this would help you in your next job?". mmm....Gulp....

But seriously, when you think it thru, I don't see the connection between managing Guilds in MMO'S and accuaring managerial skills.
Even so, i got two stories related this subject. the first one was published few days ago. the owner of the blog Acid for Blood will be joining Guild Wars as a community Manager .Now i'm not saying he that got the job because he was in a guild. still he played MMO's before. Did it helped him to get the job? not sure, it probably did.

Another story i wish to share comes from my own personal experience. I'm working as a Hi-tech Reporter and few months ago i was laughing with one worker at microsoft Israel on WoW. he told me an unconformed story that a guy got his job after he told he managed a big guild in WoW. While managing a guild is a hard and Sisyphean duty, still i'm not sure if you could describe it as a "job". whether the case is true or not, I do beleive when you got 10 million people playing a game, it really helps that your job interviewer is also a fan of WoW. somthing to think about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1) The owner of Acid for Blood is a woman, not a man.

2) I didn't get the job because I was a member of a guild.